The holidays are a great time to test out new recipes. I always find myself baking a few different batches and I’m always on the lookout for something new and interesting. Enter these delicious cookies!
For the past few years I’ve been giving homemade food as holiday gifts, to me it says “You’re important to me, but I’m on a budget”, I’m okay with that. These cookies were such a hit with everyone that I made them a few times over the course of the holiday season.
If you love sweet and savoury, these cookies will hit all the right notes. If you’re binge-watching a new t.v show, you’ll have plenty of time to de-shell your pistachios. If not, you can find shelled pistachios – they’re a bit more expensive but worth it if you’re on a time crunch.
I spent a few days baking up a storm and decided to freeze a batch. They kept beautifully and were perfect for a single serving snack of milk and cookies. Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped pistachios, shells removed
- 1 cup chopped dark chocolate
- Sea salt, for sprinkling on cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with a Silpat baking mat or parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and beat for an additional 2 minutes. With the mixer on low, slowly add in the dry ingredients. Mix until just incorporated.
- Stir in the pistachios and chocolate chunks. Using a spoon or cookie scoop, form tablespoons size balls of cookie dough. Place balls on prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Sprinkle cookie dough balls with sea salt. Bake cookies for 12 minutes, or until lightly browned around the edges. Let cookies sit on baking sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire cooling rack and cool completely. Store in an air-tight container for up to 4 days.