All we are saying is…give peas a chance! Chickpeas that is. As you can tell, John Lennon’s song was stuck in my head and of course that inspired my cooking playlist to be a tribute to The Beatles. Back to the chickpeas – I’m late to the game when it comes to snacking on roasted chickpeas. Their high protein, low fat composition and cooking versatility intrigued me, so I thought I would dabble in the world of chickpeas.
First things first, whether you’re using canned or fresh chickpeas, DRY THEM AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE! Seriously. The first time I made this recipe, I impatiently didn’t wait and ended up with a mushy, not crunchy pea and was very disappointed. Crunchy chickpeas are the desired outcome here. Don’t make the mistake I did, let the chickpeas sit out and naturally dry. You’ll thank me later.
If you’re drying the chickpeas on a baking sheet with paper towel, be sure to replace the paper towel every so often to insure the water isn’t being reabsorbed into the pea. Once you’ve prepped and dressed your chickpeas and have baked them in the oven, test the pea’s crunchiness to your liking. Avoid the mush factor as much as possible or if all else fails, turn it into a roasted chickpea hummus (stay tuned!).
I decided to stick to a more savoury route with this recipe but I’m definitely already dreaming up a sweeter version of roasted chickpeas. What’s your favourite way to make roasted chickpeas? Favourite toppings? I’d love to hear about it!
- 2 (14.5 Oz.) Cans Chickpeas, Drained, Rinsed & Dried
- 2 Tbsp. Shredded Dry Parmesan
- 1 Tsp. Dried Crushed Rosemary
- 1 Garlic Clove, Minced
- 1/8 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. and line a baking sheet with foil. Give the foil a light spritz of some non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Toss the chickpeas and the rest of the ingredients together in a large bowl until they are all well and evenly coated.
- Arrange the garbanzo beans onto the baking sheet in a single layer and give them a little spritz of non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the sheet into the preheated oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the chickpeas are crisp.
- Carefully remove the sheet from the oven and set aside to cook slightly before serving.